Travel counsellors deal directly with customers. Their situation usually corresponds to one of the following:

  • They are employed by a travel agency with an operating licence and perform their duties at the travel agency.
  • They are “outside agents”, that is travel counsellors bound by an exclusive contract to only one travel agency. Most of the time they do not work at the offices of the agency. These counsellors cannot meet customers at their home unless a duplicate copy of the travel agency’s licence has been issued for an establishment located at their address.


Travel counsellors must hold a certificate issued by the Office de la protection du consommateur in order to conduct travel-related operations.

If you are employed by a travel agency that holds a restricted licence, you do not need a certificate.


If you manage a travel agency and deal with customers personally, you must hold a travel agent licence and a travel agency manager certificate. Consult the section for travel agents to find out more.

You recommend this page:

Last update : May 3, 2021

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.