Are you ceasing your debt collection activities? Your certificate is suspended once you no longer have an employment relationship or a service contract with a collection agent that holds a valid permit.

If your employment or service contract comes to an end, you must notify the Office de la protection du consommateur of that fact through the online Collection Agent Representative Certification Management service. You have 15 days as of the change to complete this process.

Leave of 2 years or less

If you intend to resume your operations after a temporary leave of 2 years or less, you must pay your certificate renewal duties and update your contact information. This will make it easier for you to go back to work, as you will not have to file a new certificate application.

When you resume your operations, you must provide the Office with information concerning the agent (or agents) for whom you are working. To do so, you can use the online Collection Agent Representative Certification Management service.

Leave of more than 2 years or permanent leave

If you are planning to stop working for more than 2 years or permanently, you must cancel your certificate. To do so, send us an email at Be sure to indicate your name, your file number as well as the reason for the cancellation.

Resuming operations after a leave of more than 2 years

If you have not been affiliated with a collection agent for more than 2 years, and you wish to resume operations, you will have to submit a new certificate application and pass an exam once again.

You recommend this page:

Last update : May 3, 2021

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.