You must obtain a regular certificate to act on behalf of a collection agent. To do so, you must pass an exam, among other things.
To apply for a certificate, you must:
- create an online file using the Collection Agent Representative Certification Management service. You must provide all of the required information. You will be given a file number that starts with "CAR20" (e.g. CAR2020xxxxxxxx);
- register for the exam with the Institut de tourisme et d’hôtellerie du Québec (ITHQ) (fees will be charged) and pass the exam. You will need your file number;
- through your online file:
- pay the duties for the issuance of the certificate: $180, payable by credit card. You will receive an email to that effect. No payments by telephone will be accepted. As of 2021, the duties will be indexed on July 1 of every year, based on the consumer price index,
- affiliate with one or more collection agents that hold a valid permit.
The certificate is issued following receipt of a complete application that meets all requirements.
The certificate is only available in electronic format. You can access it from the "Summary" page of the Collection Agent Representative Certification Management service.
The regular certificate's validity period
The certificate is valid for 2 years, and authorizes you to carry out debt-collection activities until its expiry date, as long as you are employed by or have a service contract with a collection agent.
Last update : January 6, 2021
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.