A collection agent representative is a person who is authorized to act on behalf of a collection agent that is required to hold a permit. This permit is issued by the president of the Office de la protection du consommateur. A representative may act on behalf of more than one agent; he or she is either employed or affiliated through a service contract.

Certificate required

In order to deal with debtors in Québec, all representatives are required to hold a temporary certificate or a regular certificate. This official document is also issued by the president of the Office. 

Certificate not required

Certain persons or entities, even though they carry out debt collection activities, are not required to hold a permit. Thus, if you act on behalf of such a person or entity, you are not required to hold a certificate. For example, these include: 

  • attorneys, notaries, claims adjusters, insurance representatives, bailiffs, court clerks, bankruptcy trustees, liquidators, sequestrators, tutors, curators, trustees or authorized trust companies in the exercise of their duties;
  • corporate directors, partners or employees who, as part of their duties, are responsible for collecting debts owed to the company, partnership or employer concerned;
  • banks or financial services cooperatives.

You recommend this page: https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/

Last update : May 3, 2021

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.