Your travel counsellor certificate allows you to engage in travel-related activities. However, you must respect certain obligations.
You must renew your certificate every year. Otherwise, it will be cancelled and a new request will have to be made.
You must inform the Office de la protection du consommateur if your contact information changes or if you are working for a new travel agency. Read the Changing the information linked to your certificate page for more information.
Affiliation with a travel agency
You must act exclusively on behalf of the travel agency which employs you or with which you have signed a contract. This means that you must be affiliated with only one travel agency. The agency must hold a licence from the Office.
If you act for a travel agent without a valid certificate, lawsuits may be filed and the court may impose fines.
Payments from customers
When a customer pays you, you must:
- give a receipt to the customer;
- deposit the collected amounts in the trust account of the travel agency.
You cannot meet with your customers at your home unless a duplicate copy of the travel agency’s licence is issued for an establishment located at your residence.
You can only advertise on behalf of the travel agency with which you are affiliated. You cannot indicate your personal contact information on advertisements, other than your cell phone number.
Certificate suspension or cancellation
The president of the Office de la protection du consommateur can suspend, cancel or refuse to issue or renew your certificate if you:
- have been found guilty of an offence under the Travel Agents Act or the Regulation respecting travel agents within the 5 preceding years;
- have been found guilty of fraud, forgery or fraudulent operations in any contractual or commercial matter within the 5 preceding years;
- have provided false information to obtain or renew your certificate;
- fail to exercise your duties honestly and competently.
Last update : September 16, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.