Tips for choosing a trusted contractor for asphalting or paving work:
- Ask your neighbors or family members to pass on the name of the contractors they received good service from.
- Request recommendations and contact other clients to get their opinion on the services they received.
- Do not hesitate to ask questions to the company's representative. If they have thorough knowledge of the service they offer, they will provide clear information.
- Do not trust someone who approaches you with just a telephone number as contact information. In case of a problem, you could have trouble tracking down that person.
Verify whether the contractor has an itinerant merchant license
A contractor is considered an itinerant merchant if they solicit your business outside of their actual offices, for example, if they come to your home without your requesting it.
This type of merchant must have a license from the Office de la protection du consommateur and provide a written contract.
Getting information about a company
You can get further information about a contractor using the tool Get information about a merchant. By entering the name of a contractor into the tool, you will know:
- if they are licensed, in the case of an itinerant merchant;
- if the Office has previously intervened with them;
- if it has received formal notices from other consumers.
Verify whether the contractor has a liability insurance
If the company is insured, you will be better protected in case any of your property or that of a neighbor is damaged or if a person is injured during the work.
Last update : October 22, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.