What can you do if movers damage a piece of furniture, an appliance, or another object while moving them?

Negotiate with a moving company

Try to negotiate with a moving company to obtain compensation. See Negotiating with a merchant to find out how to do so.

Send a formal notice

If it still refuses to compensate you, you will need to send a formal notice. You must summarize the problem and specify the compensation you are claiming. The page Sending a formal notice provides further information on this topic.

Filing a complaint with the small claims court

If a merchant does not respond to the request you made in the formal notice, you can resort to the courts. The page on small claims court provides further information on this topic.

Make sure to get a professional's written estimate of the costs of the repair work. This person could be asked to testify in court to assess the damages done to your possessions.

Last update : May 25, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.