When you purchase a heating or air conditioning appliance, the merchant or manufacturer can offer you a warranty free of charge. This is called a "conventional warranty.”

Contents of the warranty

If a document detailing the warranty exists, you should request a copy. Otherwise, ask that these details be written on your invoice or in your contract.

The merchant selling you an appliance does not have the right to modify the terms of the manufacturer’s warranty. For example, the merchant cannot deny you repairs that should be covered by the warranty.

How to file a warranty claim

If the heating or air conditioning appliance you purchased is covered by a merchant or manufacturer warranty, you must follow certain steps to enforce your rights. You will, for example, need to ask the merchant or manufacturer to repair the appliance or to obtain the authorization to have it repaired yourself.

You will have a better chance of success by getting an expert opinion. You must demonstrate that:

  • the problem prevents you from using the heating or air conditioning appliance as it was meant to be used;
  • the appliance was used and maintained normally, in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations or the terms of the warranty.

If the merchant or manufacturer refuses to honour the warranty, you should first try to reach an agreement.

Tools made available by the Office

To help you resolve your problem, the Office has made various tools available to you. First, refer to the Resolve a problem with a merchant section, which presents the various steps to follow. Among other things, you will find suggestions on negotiating with a merchant in order to reach an agreement.

The Office also makes available information kits tailored to problems of an exclusively civil nature. They cover reasonable durability of goods, deliveries and non-conformity of goods or services. The Download an information kit page provides all the information you need.

Last update : May 2, 2022

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.