Electricians and plumbers cannot invoice amounts higher that what was initially agreed upon. For example, they cannot invoice the work done on a repair that was not planned or authorised. It will be easier to prove that the charges invoiced are higher than that was agreed upon if you requested a written contract from the merchant.

If you are invoiced unexpected charges, here is what you can do.

Negotiate with a merchant

Try to reach an agreement with the electrician or plumber to pay only the charges that were initially agreed upon. The page Negotiating with a merchant explains how to do so.

Paying the invoice under protest

If you cannot reach an agreement, you can pay the total amount under protest. A bill paid under protest means that you will contest the amount paid. You must add the note “under protest” on the check you give to the electrician or plumber, or on the invoice.

You should then send a formal notice to the contractor to claim the amount you overpaid. The page Sending a formal notice provides further information on this topic.

Filing a complaint with the small claims court

If these approaches fail, you can resort to the courts. The page on small claims court provides further information on this topic.

Filing a complaint with a corporation

You can also file a complaint with one of the following corporations :

Top of page

Last update : May 3, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.