You can try to get compensation when you think the work done does by a renovation contractor is poorly done or unfinished.

The work should be carried out in compliance with:

  • the description detailed in your contract with the contractor;
  • what was described by the contractor;
  • any advertisement made by the contractor about such work.


The law provides recourse when a contractor does not conform to the agreement you signed with them, causing you damages. Before you do anything, however, try to reach an agreement with the contractor. The Negotiating with a merchant page provides details on the procedure.

If the negotiation fails, you can send a formal notice to the contractor. The Sending a formal notice page provides details on this subject.

If the contractor fails to respond to the request indicated in your formal notice, you can initiate court proceedings. The small claims court page provides details on the procedure.

You can also contact the Office de la protection du consommateur to enquire as to whether you should file a complaint.

Top of page

Last update : May 3, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.