A moving company is required to provide services in accordance with the agreement you entered into with the company. This means, among other things, that it cannot demand a price that is higher than the one indicated in the contract.

What if a moving company invoices unexpected charges? First, try to reach an agreement with the company. The Negotiating with a merchant page provides details on the procedure.

Refusing to pay

You can refuse to pay the additional fees. In such a case, you may have to carry on with the move on your own. If this happens, you should inform the moving company that you will begin procedures to claim damages. You should do so in front of a witness.

Paying the invoice under protest

You can pay the total amount under protest. An invoice paid under protest means that you will contest the amount paid. You must add the note “under protest” on the cheque you give to the mover, or on the invoice. Then, send a formal notice to the moving company to claim the overpayment. The Sending a formal notice page provides details on this subject.

If the merchant fails to respond to the request indicated in your formal notice, you can initiate court proceedings. The small claims court page provides details on the procedure.

You can also contact the Office de la protection du consommateur to enquire as to whether you should file a complaint. The Contact us page provides our contact information.

Top of page

Last update : May 25, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.