You can seek compensation if you believe the work was not carried out in accordance with the agreement you entered into with the renovation contractor.

The work should be carried out in compliance with:

  • the description detailed in your contract with the contractor;
  • what was described by the contractor;
  • any advertisement made by the contractor about such work.

If a contractor declares, for example, that the shingles they are installing on your roof will last for 25 years, the contractor is bound by that declaration.


The law provides for recourse when contractors fail to abide by their statements or advertisements. Before you do anything, however, try to reach an agreement with the contractor. The Negotiating with a merchant page provides details on the procedure.

If the negotiation fails, you can send a formal notice to the contractor. The Sending a formal notice page provides details on this subject.

If the contractor fails to respond to the request indicated in your formal notice, you can initiate court proceedings. The small claims court page provides details on the procedure.

You can also contact the Office de la protection du consommateur to enquire as to whether you should file a complaint.

Top of page

Last update : May 3, 2021

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.