A lawn maintenance contractor is required to provide services in accordance with the agreement you entered into with the contractor. This means that they cannot invoice a higher amount than initially agreed upon. If they do so, you have recourse options.


First, try to reach an agreement with the contractor. The Negotiating with a merchant page provides details on the procedure.

If the negotiation fails, you can pay the total amount under protest. An invoice paid under protest means that you will contest the amount paid. You must add the note “under protest” on the cheque you give to the contractor, or on the invoice. Then, send a formal notice to the contractor to claim the overpayment. The Sending a formal notice page provides details on this subject.

If the contractor fails to respond to the request indicated in your formal notice, you can initiate court proceedings. The small claims court page provides details on the procedure.

You can also contact the Office de la protection du consommateur to enquire as to whether you should file a complaint.

Top of page

Last update : May 3, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.