Do you want to know more about air conditioning or heating appliance repair? You may be interested in the following information.

Air conditioning appliance or heat pump repairs are guaranteed for 3 months. If the problem comes back within 3 months following the repair, the repair person must do the work again for free. This warranty covers parts and labour.


If you have approved an evaluation and paid for the repairs, you have recourse against a repair person that did not do the work properly. The page Filing a complaint with the small claims court explains how to do so.

We advise you to pay the bill and seek recourse afterwards.

For any other heating appliance that was poorly repaired, try to first discuss the problem with the repair person. See Negotiating with a merchant for details on how to proceed. If you fail to reach an agreement, send a formal notice to the service provider. See Sending a formal notice for details on how to proceed.

Complaints to the order to which the repair person belongs

You can also file a complaint to the order that issued the license to the merchant that performed the repairs.

After repairing a heating or air conditioning system, the repair person cannot ask for more than the amount stated in the initial evaluation. Only the cost of additional repairs authorized by you can be added.

If the repair person asks for more than the amount that was agreed upon, here is what you can do.

Negotiate with a merchant

First, try to reach an agreement with the contractor. See Negotiating with a merchant for details on how to proceed.

Paying the invoice under protest

If you are unable to reach an agreement, and the repair person refuses to return your appliance, you can pay the total amount under protest. A bill paid under protest means that you will contest the amount paid. You must add the note “under protest” on the check you give to the contractor, or on the invoice.

You should then send a formal notice to the contractor to claim the amount you overpaid. The page Sending a formal notice provides further information on this topic.

Taking a case to small claims court

If a merchant does not respond to the request you made in the formal notice, you can resort to the courts. The page on small claims court provides further information on this topic.

Top of page

Last update : February 28, 2023

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.