After repairing a heating or air conditioning system, the repair person cannot ask for more than the amount stated in the initial evaluation. Only the cost of additional repairs authorized by you can be added.

If the repair person asks for more than the amount that was agreed upon, here is what you can do.

Negotiate with a merchant

First, try to reach an agreement with the contractor. See Negotiating with a merchant for details on how to proceed.

Paying the invoice under protest

If you are unable to reach an agreement, and the repair person refuses to return your appliance, you can pay the total amount under protest. A bill paid under protest means that you will contest the amount paid. You must add the note “under protest” on the check you give to the contractor, or on the invoice.

You should then send a formal notice to the contractor to claim the amount you overpaid. The page Sending a formal notice provides further information on this topic.

Taking a case to small claims court

If a merchant does not respond to the request you made in the formal notice, you can resort to the courts. The page on small claims court provides further information on this topic.

You recommend this page:

Last update : May 3, 2021

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.