Are you considering purchasing or renting an alarm system and signing a contract to have it connected to a remote monitoring centre? The Office de la protection du consommateur recommends that you always ask questions about the features of the agreement to the service provider.
Check if the following fees are charged :
- fees for the purchase or rental of necessary equipment, such as an alarm system;
- service fees to have your system connected to a centre;
- alarm system installation fees;
- fees for activation or start of service;
- maintenance fees;
- fees in case of false alarms.
Also inquire about :
- applicable rates for items that are not part of the basic equipment that may be provided to you (for example, extra motion detectors or motion detectors that do not react to pets);
- payment terms and conditions, particularly the obligation to pay a month in advance at the time you sign up.
All the fees you will be charges, except for taxes, must be included in the price advertised by the service provider. See What is included in the advertised price for more information.
Ask the service provider about :
- the length of the proposed contract;
- the possibility, for you and the service provider, to amend the contract conditions, and under what circumstances;
- a clause explaining the contract's cancellation terms;
- the renewal terms of the contract;
- the service provider’s policy if you move.
Remember to inquire about :
- the alarm system warranty;
- the person to contact in case of a problem.
Last update : October 16, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.