Before you purchase or rent an alarm system, the Office de la protection du consommateur recommends that you assess your needs. Find out about the types of contracts that exist: fixed length contracts and open-ended contracts.
These questions should help you choose a service that meets your needs :
- Why do you need an alarm system?
- Are you away from you home for an extended period on a regular basis?
- Do you have valuable items or belongings that are difficult to replace?
- Is your residence isolated?
- What kind of protection do you require? Do you need your alarm to be connected to a remote monitoring centre?
- Would you like a camera system to allow you to remotely see what is happening at your home? Is an alarm sufficient?
- Determine your budget. Calculate it over 4 or 5 years, as this is often the length of contracts. Also, check with your insurance company whether having an alarm system will entitle you to a discount on your home insurance.
- Do you wish to purchase or rent the necessary equipment?
If you choose a fixed length contract, you will be bound by an agreement for a fixed period of time, lasting, for example, 5 years. During this time, the price of the services cannot be raised. The page Contract amendments provides further information on this topic.
If you cancel your contract, you may have to pay cancellation fees. Before signing an agreement with a service provider, find out about these fees. They vary depending whether or not you received a discount from the service provider on the purchase price of equipment (such as an alarm system) necessary to use the service. For further information on this topic, please see :
- Cancellation fees: fixed length contract with an alarm system discount;
- Cancellation fees: contracts with no discount on the price of the alarm system.
If you choose an open-ended contract :
- • you will receive a bill each month, but you will not be bound by a contract with a fixed length. You will pay to be connected to a remote monitoring centre until you terminate the contract;
- the price of the services may increase. The page Contract amendments provides further information on this topic.
- you will not generally have to pay cancellation fees if you cancel your contract.
Last update : October 16, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.