If the vehicle delivered has damage that was not present at the time you purchased or leased it, recourse is available to you.

Merchants are required to deliver to you a vehicle that conforms to: 

  • what they told you;
  • the description of the vehicle in the contract, if you signed one.

If possible, do not take possession of the vehicle before the problem has been resolved.


As soon as you notice the damage, contact the merchant to make them aware of the situation and ask that the problem be corrected.

If you are dissatisfied with the results of this approach, you can send the merchant a formal notice. You must clearly explain in writing the problem with your vehicle and what it is that you seek to obtain. See the page Sending a formal notice for more information on the topic.

If this process does not lead to a satisfactory outcome, you can go before the courts. The following pages provide the necessary information:

For cases involving claims of $85 000 or more, you must address the Superior Court of Quebec.

Last update : March 28, 2019

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.