In case of problems, see whether your car is covered by warranties. If warranties do not apply, see the section How to settle a problem.

Writing to the merchant

The Office de la protection du consommateur advises you to inform the merchant about the problem in writing. Write before trying anything else to attempt to settle the problem. The merchant could, for example, be held liable for the problem and be required to compensate you.

A hidden defect is a problem that, had you been aware of it before making the purchase, would have led you:

  • to not purchase the vehicle;
  • or to pay a lower price.

A hidden defect is present before the sale but cannot be detected by a consumer who carefully examines the goods.

Requesting compensation

All merchants of motor vehicles (cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, recreational vehicles, and so on) must be licensed. In order to obtain a license, a merchant must provide a deposit. This money can be used to compensate you if the merchant does not comply with their obligations.

You can contact the Office to check whether you are eligible to be compensated.

Manufacturing defect

You can also consider the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP). The CAMVAP is a "private court" that allows you to settle problems linked to manufacturing defects. The car must have been manufactured in the current year, or during the four previous years. For more details, see the Web site of the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan.

Top of page

Last update : February 10, 2023

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.