Garages cannot charge you more than the total price indicated on the evaluation. Only the cost of additional repairs authorized by you can be added.


If a garage gives you a bill that is higher than what was agreed upon, you can:

  1. Pay the total amount under protest. A bill paid under protest means that you will contest the amount paid. You must write "under protest" on one of the following documents:
    • the cheque remitted to the garage;
    • the invoice;
    • the copy of the invoice that he asks you to get your vehicle back.
  2. Send a formal notice to the garage to claim the overpayment amount. See Formally notifying a merchant for more details.
  3. If the garage does not reimburse you, take your case to small claims court. See Taking a case to small claims court for more information.

Top of page

You recommend this page:

Last update : May 3, 2021

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.