Does the garage not want to return your car after the repair has been completed? This situation can happen, for example, if you refuse to pay a higher amount than what was initially agreed upon.

Cases when the garage cannot hold on to your car

The garage cannot hold on to your car:

  • if you were not provided with a written evaluation when the garage was obligated to do so;
  • f you paid the amount stated in the estimate, but the actual price for the work is higher than what you agreed upon. For example, the estimate stated that repairing the brakes of your car would cost $1,000. You then authorize an additional $200 to repair the car's cooling system. You pay $1,200, but the garage asks for $1,500.


You paid the amount that was agreed upon, but the garage still refuses to return your car? You can:

  1. Pay the total amount under protest. A bill paid under protest means that you will contest the amount paid. You must write "under protest" on one of the following documents:
    • the cheque remitted to the garage;
    • the invoice;
    • the copy of the invoice that he asks you to get your vehicle back.
  2. Send a formal notice to the garage to claim the amount you overpaid. See Formally notifying a merchant for further information.
  3. If the garage does not reimburse you, take your case to small claims court. See Taking a case to small claims court for further information.

Top of page

Last update : May 3, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.