If negotiating with a merchant and sending a formal notice have not solved your problem, you can take your case to the Civil Division of the Court of Quebec.

The general division of the Civil Division of the Court of Quebec handles cases that involve claims of less than $100,000.

If your claim is for just over $15,000, you can lower it to $15,000 to file a complaint with the small claims court.

If your claim is for at least $75,000 but less than $100,000, you can either petition the Civil Division of the Court of Québec or the Superior Court of Québec.

Steps to filing a complaint

To learn more about what you need to do to take your case to court, refer to the Éducaloi website.

You can also consult a lawyer, who can help you prepare your case and represent you in court. You can find a lawyer and read some helpful tips on the website of the Barreau du Québec.


You must not exceed a certain period of time to file a claim with the court. For consumer contracts, the Civil Code of Québec generally sets a deadline of 3 years as of the moment the problem first appeared.

After this deadline, your recourse has exceeded the limitation period, which means that you can no longer file a claim with the court. It is therefore in your best interest to exercise your recourse options quickly after the events have occurred.

Top of page

Last update : January 25, 2024

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.