Merchants must affix a label on each used vehicle they put up for sale or for lease. This label contains details that will help you make an informed decision.
Information listed on the label
The label must contain the following information:
- the price of the vehicle;
- its complete description (model year, serial number, make, model, engine displacement);
- the number of kilometres indicated on the odometer and the actual of number of kilometres the vehicle has travelled, if different;
- the vehicle category (A, B, C or D), for the warranty of fitness the merchant must provide, under the Consumer Protection Act;
- details regarding the manufacturer's or merchant’s warranty, if it is still valid;
- a description of any repairs made since the vehicle has been in the merchant’s possession, if applicable;
- information regarding prior use of the vehicle if it was used as:
- a taxi;
- a driving school vehicle;
- a rental vehicle;
- a police vehicle;
- an ambulance;
- a courtesy or demo vehicle.
The name of the business or public body that owned or leased the vehicle must also be listed. To find out what this label looks like, see a sample label (737.4 KB) (in French only).
Merchant's obligations indicated on the label
The label must also indicate the merchant’s obligations:
- to provide you with the previous owner’s name and phone number, upon request;
- to provide you with a certificate of mechanical inspection if it is required for vehicle registration, for example if it is from outside of Québec or has been declared a total loss.
Presentation of the label
The merchant is required to give you the label when you purchase or lease the vehicle. All the information contained therein is an integral part of the contract, with the exception of the sale price and the warranty details, which may be modified.
Last update : October 29, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.