Recourse is available to you if the vehicle delivered to you is not the one you purchased or leased, or if the various options you selected are missing.

Merchants are required to deliver to you a vehicle that conforms to: 

  • what they told you;
  • the vehicle description found in the contract;
  • the vehicle description found in their advertisements.

If possible, do not take possession of the vehicle before the problem has been resolved.


As soon as you notice the error, contact the merchant to make them aware of the situation and ask that the problem be corrected.

If you are unsatisfied with the results of this approach, you can send the merchant a formal notice. You must clearly explain, in writing, what you are seeking to obtain in light of this error. See Formally notifying a merchant for more information.

If this process does not lead to a satisfactory outcome, you can go before the courts. The following pages provide the necessary information:

For cases involving claims of $70 000 or more, you must address the Superior Court of Quebec.

The Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan may also be helpful.

Top of page

Last update : March 14, 2018

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.