If the vehicle delivered has damage that was not present at the time you purchased or leased it, recourse is available to you.

Merchants are required to deliver to you a vehicle that conforms to: 

  • what they told you;
  • the description of the vehicle in the contract.

If possible, do not take possession of the vehicle before the problem has been resolved.


As soon as you notice the damage, contact the merchant to make them aware of the situation and ask that the problem be corrected.

To help you assert your rights, various tools are available to you. You can first contact the Office to check whether you can use PARLe, a quick, free service provided entirely online, to try to settle your dispute with a merchant. The Negotiating with a merchant page can also guide you in the negotiation process.

If the negotiation fails, you can send a formal demand to the merchant. You must clearly explain, in writing, the problem with your vehicle and what you are seeking to obtain. You can see Formally notifying a merchant for more information.

If this process does not lead to a satisfactory outcome, you can go before the courts. The following pages provide the necessary information:

For cases involving claims of $85 000 or more, you must address the Superior Court of Quebec.

The Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan may also be helpful.

Top of page

Last update : March 14, 2018

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.