You can try to get compensation when you think the services you received did not correspond to the agreement you concluded with a merchant who provided the courses.

The services rendered must conform to:

  • their description in the contract;
  • what was described by the merchant;
  • advertising, whatever its form (poster, Web site, radio advertising, sales person, and so on).

For example, an establishment that advertises that you will become bilingual or find a job after taking 10 language classes must fulfill its promises.


The law provides recourse when merchants do not respect what they said to you or what they advertised. But first, try to reach an agreement with the merchant. The Negotiating with a merchant page provides details on the procedure.

If the negotiation fails, you can send a formal notice to the merchant. The Sending a formal notice page provides details on this subject.

If the merchant fails to respond to the request indicated in your formal notice, you can initiate court proceedings. The small claims court page provides details on the procedure.

You can also contact the Office de la protection du consommateur to enquire as to whether you should file a complaint.

Top of page

Last update : June 18, 2018

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.