If you think a merchant is misadvertising or giving false information, here is what you need to know.

All merchants and advertisers are prohibited from:

  • indicating only the amount of the periodic instalments that must be made to register with the dating agency without displaying the total price of the registration more prominently;
  • demanding a higher price than advertised;
  • advertising a reduced price when it is not;
  • using an illustration that does not accurately depict the service whose price is advertised. 

Total price

The advertised price must include all the amounts you need to pay to receive the dating agency’s services. This total amount must displayed more prominently than the amounts that make it up.

This price must include all initial fees, such as registration fees, file setup and case analysis fees, as well as any other related fees, if you must inevitably pay them.

What if a merchant advertises a price that does not include all the amounts you are required to pay? Demand paying the advertised price and nothing more.

Amounts that can be added

Certain amounts can be added to the advertised price upon payment. Those amounts are required under the provisions of a law or regulation and must be collected and remitted to a public authority. These refer to amounts such as:

  • the Québec Sales Tax (QST);
  • the Goods and Services Tax (GST).

You can seek compensation if you believe that the services rendered fail to comply with the agreement you entered into with a dating agency.

The services rendered must comply with:

  • the description provided in your contract;
  • statements made to you by the agency or its representative;
  • all types of advertisements (posters, websites, ads, salesperson, etc.)

For example, a dating agency that led you to believe that you would find your soul mate in less than 2 weeks is required to fulfill that promise.


The law provides for recourse when a dating agency fails to abide by its statements to you or its advertisements. But first, try to reach an agreement with the agency. The Negotiating with a merchant page provides details on the procedure.

If the negotiation fails, you can send a formal notice to the agency. The Sending a formal notice page provides details on this subject.

If the agency fails to respond to the request indicated in your formal notice, you can initiate court proceedings. The small claims court page provides details on the procedure.

You can also contact the Office de la protection du consommateur to enquire as to whether you should file a complaint.

Last update : May 3, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.