Are you looking to register with a dating agency? The following tips may be of interest to you before you enter an agreement with a merchant.
Before you register with a dating agency online or by telephone, check the details of the merchant’s offer.
Information the merchant is required to provide
Before you complete your registration, the merchant is required to provide you with the following information:
- the dating agency’s name and contact information, including their telephone number, fax number and email address;
- a detailed description of the services they offer;
- the total amount charged, namely the price of services, evaluating your file and taxes;
- the frequency and terms of payment;
- a description of any additional fees you may be charged;
- the date on which you will begin to receive their services;
- the currency (Canadian dollars, US dollars, etc.) in which the transaction is to be paid;
- their cancellation policies.
From the moment you enter into an agreement with the merchant, that merchant has 15 days to send you a written contract. The contract must contain the same information as well as any other compulsory clauses.
The dating agency with which you sign a contract in person must give you a copy of the contract with details about the services offered.
Contracts concluded online are subject to different rules.
Information indicated in the contract
The contract must indicate:
- the name and address of the dating agency;
- your name and address;
- the place and date of the contract signature;
- a description of the services offered;
- the date on which the services are to begin;
- the number of hours, days or weeks covered by the services;
- the hourly, daily or weekly rate (this rate must remain the same throughout the entire length of the contract);
- the total amount you will have to pay;
- the terms of payment;
- the clause explaining the contract cancellation terms. This clause is presented in section 46 of the Regulation respecting the application of the Consumer Protection Act.
The agency must give you a copy of the signed contract, along with a cancellation form. You can use this form if you want to cancel your contract.
Total amount of the fees
The total amount indicated on the contract must include:
- the cost of services;
- membership or registration fees as well as any fees charged to open a file, evaluate your file or administrative fees, if applicable. Ask about the portion of the fees charged to evaluate your file, as those costs cannot be reimbursed if you cancel your contract;
Contract concluded at a kiosk in a shopping centre
What happens if you decide to register with a dating agency after speaking with a representative at a kiosk in a shopping centre? Since the dating agency has offered you their services outside their regular place of business, the contract must comply with the rules that govern itinerant sales.
A dating agency cannot:
- collect payment, a deposit or registration fees before you begin receiving the services;
- collect payment for services in one instalment. The total amount of the invoice must be paid in at least 2 approximately equal instalments. The instalments must be claimed at regular intervals, e.g. at the beginning and middle of the period covered by the contract.
Exceptions: payment in one instalment
The dating agency can demand payment in one instalment in either of 2 situations:
- the total value of the services is $100 or less (including taxes);
- the services are provided over 3 consecutive days or fewer, regardless of their value.
Before you register with a dating agency, find out about the cancellation terms. You can cancel a contract with a dating agency at any time. Important: Depending on when you cancel the contract, you may have to pay a penalty.
Last update : February 28, 2023
Was the information on this page useful to you?
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.