Before registering for a fitness or weight-management centre online or by phone, find out more about the merchant’s offer.
Information that must be provided by the merchant
Before you completing your registration, the merchant must provide the following information:
- their name and contact information, including their phone and fax numbers and email address;
- a detailed description of the services offered;
- the total amount of the sums to be paid, that is to say, the service fees, other fees that may be added, and taxes;
- the date on which you will start having access to the services;
- the terms of payment;
- the description of additional fees that could be requested;
- the transaction currency (Canadian dollars, US dollars, and so on);
- the cancellation and refund policies.
From the moment you enter an agreement with a merchant, the merchant has 15 days to send a paper copy of the contract. The paper copy must contain the same information and all other mandatory notes.
Purchase made on a group purchasing Web site
If you purchase a prepaid card or a voucher that can be redeemed for a membership in a fitness or weight-management centre on a group purchasing Web site, you enter into 2 different and distinct contracts.
The second contract is the one that the fitness or weight-management centre will provide. This contract must feature all the mandatory information that must be included in a fitness or weight-management contract.
Last update : October 30, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.