Fitness and weight management centres must provide a contract that details the conditions of your membership. By law, this is known as a “physical fitness studio contract.” Make sure this contract accurately reflects the merchant's promises to you.
Contents of a fitness or weight loss contract
The contract must include:
- the number of the permit delivered by the Office de la protection du consommateur;
- the merchant’s name and address;
- your name and address;
- the place and date the contract was signed;
- a description of the services to be provided;
- the date on which the services will start being offered;
- the address where the services will be offered;
- the duration of the contract (for a maximum of one year);
- the total amount you will have to pay;
- the terms of payment;
- a clause that explains the cancellation terms. This clause is presented in section 47 of the Regulation respecting the application of the Consumer Protection Act.
The centre must give you a copy of the signed contract, along with a cancellation form. You can use this form if you wish to cancel your contract.
Does your contract contain a clause that states it will be renewed automatically for a fee? Caution: it is prohibited to include such a clause in a fitness or weight-management contract. The Renewing a membership page provides further information on this topic.
Some fitness centres offer "lifetime" memberships. A high membership fee is charged for the first year, and the contract is renewed automatically in subsequent years. The fitness centre is then required to provide you with a new contract every year or complete the renewal procedure in accordance with the terms provided for by regulation.
The Office wishes to caution you against this practice. If the centre were to close its doors in the near future, you may have problems getting your money back.
Total value of the contract
The contract must indicate the total amount you will have to pay. This amount includes:
- the cost of the membership or session;
- membership, registration, evaluation and administration fees, as well as fees charged to open a file, if applicable;
Last update : October 29, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.