The Office de la protection du consommateur advises you to ask the service provider about all the subscription features before signing a contract.
For example, ask questions regarding:
- the channels to which you have access;
- the ability to change the channels you selected;
- the rental or purchase of equipment, such as a terminal or a satellite dish.
Inquire about the following:
- the cost of adding more channels to your plan;
- the terms of payment, in particular the obligation to pay a month in advance when you sign up for the services;
- the installation costs.
All fees that you must pay, other than taxes, must be included in the price advertised by the service provider. See What is included in the advertised price for more information.
Find out about discounts available if you combine services from the same service provider, for example television, Internet and telephone.
Ask the service provider about topics such as:
- the duration of the proposed contract;
- the possibility, for you and for the service provider, to amend the terms of the contract, and under what circumstances;
- the contract cancellation terms;
- the contract renewal terms.
Remember to enquire about:
- costs to purchase or rent the devices;
- the warranty details of the devices, such as the terminal, the receiver, or the satellite dish;
- the delivery delays to receive the devices;
- who to contact in case of a problem.
Last update : October 22, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.