If you believe your television service provider has wrongly billed you or if you are being billed for services that you believe do not comply with the agreed upon terms of your contract, simply refusing to pay is not the best solution. An unpaid bill could have a negative effect on your credit history.

Examples of situations

Here are examples of situations that might lead you to contest amounts billed:

The services you receive must correspond to:

  • what you were told by the service provider;
  • the information contained in your contract;
  • advertised information;
  • the requirements of the law.

Solutions and recourse options

Here is the sequence of steps you can take to contest the amounts you were billed:

  1. First, try to come to an agreement with the service provider by clearly explaining the problem and proposing what you wish to obtain to resolve the situation. The Negotiating with a merchant page explains how to prepare yourself.
  2. If the negotiation fails, make your payment before the deadline anyway. This will avoid negative consequences on your credit rating. Furthermore, this does not affect your right to contest.
  3. File a complaint with the Office de la protection du consommateur by contacting us. The officer who will take your call will take note of all the necessary information in connection with your situation. He or she can also provide you with the necessary tools to assist you in this process, e.g. to draft a formal notice or to file a complaint with the small claims court.
  4. You can also check whether you can submit your problem to the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-Television Services (CCTS).

Ambiguous contract

If your contract is not clear, it will be interpreted in your favour in the event of any doubt.

Top of page

Last update : June 10, 2024

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.