Any merchant who enters into a high-cost credit contract with you is required to hold a permit from the Office de la protection du consommateur.

This permit is mandatory, regardless of the manner in which the merchant does business with you (in person, over the telephone, online, etc.).

If the high-cost credit contract entered into is a contract for the loan of money, the merchant must also hold a money lender’s permit.

Exemptions: permit not required

Banks and financial services cooperatives, such as credit unions, trust companies or savings companies, are not required to hold these permits.

Moreover, permits are not required if the loan is for a mortgage or if it is contracted to pay an insurance premium.

How to find out whether a lender holds a permit

You can use the Get information about a merchant tool to find out whether a merchant holds the required permit(s).

If a merchant does not hold a permit you believe is required, avoid doing business with that merchant and contact the Office to file a complaint.

You recommend this page:

Last update : May 3, 2021

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.