If you have a joint open credit account with another consumer (e.g. your spouse and you are coholders of a credit card), the debts and obligations related to that card belong to both of you. By law, you are "solidarily liable" for the use of that account with the other consumer.

Change of situation

You may ask to be released from the obligations arising from the use of the credit account. This may be the case, for example, if you are separating from the other consumer with whom you are bound in the contract. To do so, you must:

  • notify the merchant or financial institution in writing that you will no longer be using the credit extended and no longer wish to be solidarily liable for the other consumer's future use of the credit as of that moment;
  • provide proof to the merchant or financial institution that you also notified the other consumer by sending him or her a written notice to that effect at his or her last known postal or electronic address.

As of that moment, the second consumer is solely responsible for future obligations arising from the credit contract. In addition, any payment you make subsequently is used to reimburse the debts contracted before the notice was sent to the merchant or financial institution.

Last update : July 4, 2022

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.