What should you do if your statement contains an error? Send a written notice to the card issuer. You usually have one month to do so.

Contents of the notice

Your notice must contain the following information:

  • your identity;
  • the error noted and the amount in question, if applicable;
  • the reason you believe it is an error.

Reply from the financial institution

Within 60 days after sending your notice, the financial institution must notify you in writing that the correction was made. If the institution refuses to correct the error, they must explain why and provide you with documents in support of their refusal.

If the institution does not reply within 60 days, they lose the right to claim the amount you deem to be in error.

Last update : January 8, 2020

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.