A financial institution may not, unless you have clearly asked them to do so in writing:

  • issue you a credit card;
  • issue a credit card bearing the same number as yours, for example to your spouse.

The institution also may not increase your credit limit, unless you clearly ask them to do so, either verbally or in writing.

Once you have notified a financial institution that you want to cancel your credit card, they cannot renew or replace it.

Credit offers

The law prohibits all merchants and their representatives from offering you a credit card or line of credit in a CEGEP, college, or any other type of educational institution (other than a university). However, they may make such an offer in their place of business if it is located within the educational institution.

Evaluation by a merchant

A merchant may have to evaluate your ability to reimburse the credit applied for before:

  • entering into an open credit contract with you;
  • increasing your credit limit, as part of an open credit contract.

To find out more, refer to the page titled Evaluating One's Ability to Pay.

Making changes to the contract

If the financial institution wants to increase the card membership, renewal or replacement fees, they must sent you a written notice to that effect at least 30 days before the increase comes into effect.

The institution must also send you a written notice of any increase in the credit rate at least 30 days before the increase comes into effect. However, the institution is not required to send you a notice if the credit contract stipulates that the credit rate may vary.

You recommend this page: https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/

Last update : February 4, 2022

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.