Collection agents may not contact you any time they wish. The law specifies when they may do so.
Times and days when you may be contacted
Collection agents may speak to you between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., Monday to Saturday, inclusive. They are not allowed to contact you on a statutory holiday, namely:
- January 1;
- Good Friday;
- Easter Monday;
- Fête nationale (June 24);
- Canada Day (July 1, or July 2 when the 1st falls on a Sunday);
- Labour Day (the 1st Monday in September);
- Thanksgiving (the 2nd Monday in October);
- Christmas (December 25);
- Victoria Day (the Monday that precedes May 25).
If a collection agent fails to abide by these rules when contacting you, you may file a complaint with the Office de la protection du consommateur. The page titled Contact Us lists our contact information.
Last update : October 23, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.