A collection agent is required to provide you with certain documents when you ask for them in writing.
Information about the debt
You are entitled to ask the collection agent to provide you with information about the debt, namely the amount the agent claims you owe. The agent is required to reply to your request in writing within 10 days after receiving it.
The following information must be provided to you:
- the name of the creditor (business or financial institution to whom you owe money, for example);
- the total amount owing;
- the date and amount of each instalment;
- since receiving the Notice of Payment, if the agent is providing you with information on your file for the 1st time, or
- since the last time the agent provided you with information on your file;
- the balance of the debt;
- the name of the collection agency;
- the date on which the agent provides you with this information.
No fees may be charged for this document.
Proof of the debt
You may request supporting documents in connection with the sum of money the agent claims you owe, such as invoices or statements of account.
The agent is required to reply to your request, at no charge, within 30 days after receiving it.
Last update : October 23, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.