If your application is in connection with the coronavirus, be sure to refer to the COVID-19 file in our Indemnisation section (in French only), where you will find important details and the claim form to use.

What happens if you do not receive the services you have purchased, such as a flight or a cruise? Or if your travel agency closes its doors or goes bankrupt?

Here is the procedure to apply to be reimbursed or compensated in 6 easy steps.

Step 1: Evaluate your reimbursement options

Before you file a reimbursement claim with the Compensation Fund for Customers of Travel Agents:

  • Contact the company that should have provided the service, e.g. the air carrier or cruise line, to ask for a reimbursement for the service you did not receive.
  • Check whether your insurance company can reimburse you. In certain cases, you may also be entitled to other compensation (meals, lodging and other expenses). Remember to keep all your invoices to be submitted with your claim to your insurer.

If you still have not received a reimbursement or you only received a partial reimbursement after going through Step 1, you can go on to Step 2.

Step 2: Check whether you are eligible for the Fund

If you did business with a travel agency that holds a licence from the Office, you can file a claim with the Fund. You can check whether your travel agency holds a licence using the Getting information about a merchant search tool.

You can also visit the Situations covered by the Fund page. If in doubt, please contact us.

Upon reception of your claim, the Office will evaluate whether all of the required conditions are fulfilled.

Step 3: Make sure you comply with the reimbursement conditions

File your reimbursement claim with the Fund as soon as possible, e.g. as soon as you become a victim of default of a service provider.

To be entitled to a reimbursement, you must not have received any other reimbursement, e.g. from a third party, such as an insurer. However, if you have received a partial reimbursement, you can claim the difference from the Fund.

Example: You paid $1,000 for services that could not be provided. You received a $400 reimbursement from your insurer. You can claim $600 from the Fund.

Step 4: Fill out the claim form

Claim form in connection with COVID-19

For any application in connection with the coronavirus, refer to the COVID-19 file (in French only) and download the form, then fill it out on screen and print it out to sign it. You will need Adobe Reader version 8 or later (free of charge).

Claim form for other cases

First check our Indemnisation section (in French only) to see whether a file has already been opened concerning your situation in order to determine which compensation form to fill out.

If your application does not concern any of the currently opened files, use the general claim form (1.1 MB) for the Compensation Fund for Customers of Travel Agents.

Save the form on your computer or mobile device, then fill it out on screen and print it out to sign it. You will need Adobe Reader version 8 or later (free of charge).

If you have problems saving the form or filling it out on screen, print it out, then fill it out legibly by hand.

Please note that the form contains a declaration under oath that you must fill out before a Commissioner for Oaths. They can be found using the Register of Commissioners for Oaths, on the website of the Ministère de la Justice.

If you need help in filling out your request, please contact us.

Step 5: Gather all your documents in support of your claim

You must enclose the following documents with your claim form:

  • original copies of the invoice and receipt given to you by the travel agency;
  • proof of payment of your travel services (plane tickets, hotel rooms, cruises, etc.). This can be a copy of both sides of the cashed cheque, the credit card or debit card receipt, or the account statement from your credit card issuer, etc.;
  • transportation tickets you have purchased, if applicable;
  • any other document you deem relevant, such as copies of emails sent or received, if applicable.

Step 6: Send your form and supporting documents

Send the completed form and your supporting documents by mail or online, as indicated on the last page of the form.

You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt within 60 days.

Other reimbursement option

If you used a credit card to pay for the services, go to the Credit card purchases page for information about your recourse options.

Top of page

You recommend this page: https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/

Last update : May 3, 2021

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.