By signing a timeshare accommodation contract with you, a merchant offers you accommodation rights (or a medium of exchange providing access to such accommodation rights) for which you commit to paying, year after year, until the expiry of the contract. The expressions "timeshare" and "vacation plan" are often used in reference to this type of contract.
The accommodation units or goods may or may not be located in Québec.
There are different types of timeshare accommodation packages. Among other things, they can provide you with:
- the opportunity to purchase points that can be redeemed for stays, cruises or the use of accommodation units at various vacation destinations and resorts;
- long-term use of an accommodation unit located in a vacation complex for a given period during the year;
- the possibility of exchanging your right to use an accommodation unit for the right to use another unit located in another region or country.
In certain cases, the contract can also provide you with the possibility of exchanging your timeshare accommodation rights for goods, services or other benefits.
The rules provided for by law with regard to timeshare accommodation do not apply:
- to contracts of less than one year;
- to any contract the object of which is the timeshare sale of the private portion of a condominium.
Last update : November 5, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.