The Compensation Fund for Customers of Travel Agents is a financial protection plan administered by the Office de la protection du consommateur. It is complementary to the protection provided by travel insurance.

You benefit from this protection when you purchase services through a travel agency that holds a licence from the Office. If you deal directly with a service provider, without going through a licensed travel agency, the Fund does not protect you.

You can check whether an agency holds a licence using the Getting information about a merchant search tool.

Purpose of the Fund

The purpose of the Fund is to reimburse you if your travel agency or a service provider (air carrier, hotel, etc.) cannot deliver the services you have purchased through that agency.

The Fund is used to reimburse you in specific situations. The Situations covered by the Fund page provides detailed information on this subject.

Customer contributions

The Fund is financed by contributions paid by consumers when they enter into a contract with a Québec travel agent.

The amount of your contribution is a percentage (0.1%) of your purchase. For example, if you buy $1,000 in services, you will contribute $1 to the Fund. This contribution must be clearly indicated on the invoices or receipts that are given to you.

Reimbursement amounts

The Fund usually reimburses all amounts paid to a licensed travel agent for tourism services. However, if many individuals are affected by the same situation, the reimbursement amounts may be limited.

Furthermore, if you receive a reimbursement from a third party, such as an insurer or your credit card issuer, you are not entitled to a reimbursement from the Fund.

If, however, you only receive a partial reimbursement from this third party, you may claim the difference from the Fund. Example: You paid $1,000 for services that could not be provided. You received a $400 reimbursement from your insurer. You can claim $600 from the Fund.

What is not covered by the Fund

Among other things, the Fund does not cover:

  • "non-tourism" goods or services (travel insurance, travel guides, luggage, etc.);
  • damages stemming from the non-delivery of services, such as vacation days lost, or lost wages caused by a cancelled flight;
  • travel services that comply with the agreement you entered into with your travel agent, but with which you are dissatisfied (e.g. a cruise that did not serve meals at a time that was convenient for you).

Last update : July 18, 2018

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.