When you make a purchase online, the merchant can request payment before delivering the product or providing the service only in the following case: if you pay by credit card.
This payment method offers you protection: you may file a chargeback request with the issuer of the credit card you used to make your purchase, as long as certain conditions are met.
Exceptions: advance payment permitted
The restrictions regarding payment in advance do not apply to certain types of online purchases:
- subscriptions to newspapers, magazines and journals;
- prearranged funeral services and pre-purchased sepultures;
- goods that may perish quickly, for example, food products;
- purchases made from a travel agent which meet the trust account requirements. Funds deposited in such accounts can be used to compensate you in case of a problem;
- goods purchased by auction, as defined by article 1757 and subsequent sections of the Civil Code of Québec;
- lottery tickets (from Loto-Québec, for example).
Last update : November 6, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.