If the goods or services for which your prepaid card is redeemable are no longer available, you are entitled to compensation from the merchant. It must be equivalent to the price you paid for the goods or services that you cannot receive.

Two possible forms of compensation

Merchants can decide the type of compensation you will receive. They can choose between these 2 options:

  • a refund in cash or another card equivalent to the value of the goods or services that are unavailable;
  • goods or services to replace those that are no longer available.

Disagreement with the merchant regarding the compensation offer

If you find the compensation offer unsatisfactory, you can attempt to negotiate with the merchant to reach an agreement. See How to negotiate with a merchant for more information.

If you are unable to reach an agreement, you can send the merchant a formal notice. See Formally notifying a merchant for more information.

As a final recourse, you can take your case to small claims court. See Taking a case to small claims court for more details.

Cards purchased from a third party

If you purchased a card from a vendor who is not the merchant providing the goods or services, you can check with this third party merchant to see if they will provide a refund equivalent to the value of the goods or services that are unavailable.

Top of page

Last update : May 3, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.