What happens if the childcare centre attended by your child closes its doors during the duration of your contract, and the centre owes you a sum of money? You can send a formal notice to the centre's administrator(s) to be refunded for the services you paid for but were not provided. See Formally notifying a merchant for details on how to proceed.

If the establishment refuses to compensate you, you must take your case to court. See Taking a case to small claims court for further information.

If the childcare centre goes out of business

What if your childcare centre goes out of business? See the Web site of the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy or call a regional office.

The receiver should send you a proof of claim form and an information package. Follow the instructions included in the package. Also gather all documents that prove the childcare centre owes you money.

Subsidized childcare centre

If your child attends a subsidized childcare centre that announces it will close, you can communicate with the Ministère de la Famille (in French only).

Last update : September 1, 2021

Was the information on this page useful to you?

Didn’t find the answers to your questions?

If you have a question for the Office or would like to file a complaint, please call us or use our information request form.

Do you have a comment on the content of this page?

You can contact the webmaster to in the content of this page.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.