A merchant offers you a weight loss product free of charge or at a reduced price for a determined period of time. After the promotion has ended, the merchant continues to send you the product and invoice it automatically.

After the promotion

When the promotion ends, the merchant can charge you the regular price for the product only if you have clearly given your consent. This would be the case, for example, if you had committed to purchasing the product for a determined period of time when you placed your order.

What if you made no such commitment to the merchant? The merchant cannot require that you provide a notice to the effect that you no longer wish to receive the product after the promotion has ended, nor can the merchant require payment for products sent to you without your consent.

Solutions to unauthorized invoicing

What happens if the merchant invoices you for products you did not order? You have recourse options, because the merchant cannot require a notice from you when the promotion ends. Here are the steps to follow:

  1. Try to reach an agreement with the merchant. The How to negotiate with a merchant page explains the procedure.
  2. If you are unable to come to an agreement, send the merchant a formal notice. The Sending a formal notice page explains the procedure.
  3. If the merchant does not reply to your demands, you can petition the court to rule on the issue. The Filing a complaint with the small claims court page provides details on this subject.

You can also contact the Office de la protection du consommateur to find out whether you can file a complaint.

Telephone or online purchases

What if you placed your order by telephone or online? Other solutions to cancel your purchase are available to you if the merchant fails to respect certain obligations. You must act quickly, however, as the prescribed deadlines are short.

Consult the following pages:

Top of page

Last update : November 24, 2017

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.