When you purchase an electronic device, the merchant or manufacturer can offer you a warranty free of charge. This is called a “conventional warranty.”

Contents of the warranty

If a document detailing the warranty exists, you should request a copy. Otherwise, ask the merchant to write the warranty details on your invoice or in your contract.

How to file a warranty claim

If the electronic device you purchased is covered by a merchant or manufacturer warranty, you must follow certain steps to enforce your rights. For example, you will need to ask the merchant or manufacturer to repair an electronic device or to obtain the authorization to have it repaired yourself.

Furthermore, you must demonstrate that:

  • the problem prevents you from using the electronic device as it was meant to be used;
  • the electronic device was used and maintained normally, in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations or the terms of the warranty.

If the merchant or manufacturer refuses to honour the warranty, you should first try to reach an agreement. The Negotiating with a merchant page provides details on the procedure.

If the negotiation fails, you can send a formal notice to the merchant or manufacturer. The Sending a formal notice page provides details on this subject.

If the merchant or manufacturer fails to respond to the request indicated in your formal notice, you can initiate court proceedings. The small claims court page provides details on the procedure.


Any exclusion to the warranty must be clearly stated by the merchant or manufacturer. Some manufacturers will only honour the warranty if the electronic device was purchased from a certified merchant. If you buy the electronic device from non-certified merchant, the merchant must state in writing, before the transaction is finalized, that the manufacturer’s warranty does not apply. A merchant who fails to do so will be required to honour the terms of the warranty and cover any expenses incurred.

Top of page

Last update : January 22, 2018

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.