If a merchant delivers a damaged electronic device, they need to:

  • repair it;
  • replace it; or
  • refund payment.

Having an electronic device replaced

You cannot request a damaged electronic device be replaced by a new one, but you can negotiate with the merchant to try to convince them to do so. However, if a repair would not bring the electronic device back to its original state, you can request it be replaced.

You can contact the Office to check whether you can use PARLe, a quick, free service provided entirely online, to try to settle your dispute with a merchant. The small claims court can also settle the matter if you cannot reach an agreement with the merchant.

Last update : March 19, 2019

Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.

The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.