Consumers who wish to undertake a settlement process through PARLe must first contact the Office de la protection du consommateur. If they satisfy the terms and conditions of use, an officer from the Office will email them a link to the platform as well as information to assist them in the process. For the time being, this tool is available in French only. If you are not comfortable using this tool, but you meet the terms and conditions of use to access PARLe, you can be assisted by an acquaintance, friend or relative, other than an attorney, to complete the process. You must first fill out an assistance mandate, which will be provided by the Office.
Terms and conditions of use
To be able to access PARLe, consumers must satisfy certain conditions, namely to have a problem:
- that is exclusively civil in nature, such as an issue related to:
- goods or services not received (or only partly received),
- a delay in the delivery of the goods or services,
- an item that is defective, did not have a reasonable duration or that cannot be used for the purpose for which it was intended,
- goods or services that do not comply with the contract or statements made by the vendor or an advertisement;
- that involves a participating merchant.
Dozens of merchants are now active on PARLe. These include big box retailers; furniture, appliance and swimming pool retailers; as well as pre-owned car dealerships and residential renovation merchants.
If you are a merchant and would like to use this platform, please notify us of your interest by emailing at email@example.com.
Last update : March 16, 2020
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.