Prearranged funeral services and the prepurchase of sepultures must be made in writing. They must be the subject of 2 separate contracts.
Mandatory contents for the 2 types of contracts
Any contract for prearranged funeral services or prepurchased sepultures must contain:
- the name and address of the funeral services business, as well as those of its representative when the contract is entered into elsewhere than at the vendor’s place of business;
- the name, address and date of birth of the purchaser as well as those of the person who will be receiving the services, if it is not the same person;
- the name and address of a person to whom the vendor will send a copy of the contract;
- the contract number;
- the date on which the contract is signed and the address at which it is signed;
- a description and the price of each item and service, including taxes;
- the required information, provided for in Chapter II of the Regulation respecting the application of the Act respecting prearranged funeral services and sepultures:
- section 4: required information to be included in prearranged funeral services contracts. Among other things, this information explains how payment may be collected and the conditions under which a contract may be cancelled;
- section 5: required information to be included in prepurchased supulture contracts. Among other things, this information explains how payment may be collected and the conditions under which a contract may be cancelled;
- section 5.1: required information when you purchase goods or services for yourself. Among other things, this information explains that the contract represents an expression of your wishes and that certain information pertaining to this contract will be entered in the register of prearranged funeral services contracts and prepurchased sepulture contracts. It also presents the conditions under which a contract may be cancelled.
Additional content: prearranged funeral services contract
In addition to the elements that are common to both types of contracts, a prearranged funeral services contract must contain:
- a description and the price of all the elements included in the contract;
- the total amount to be paid for goods;
- the total amount to be paid for services;
- the total price of the contract.
Additional content: prepurchased sepultures contract
In addition to the elements that are common to both types of contracts, a prepurchased sepultures contract must contain:
- a description and the price of the sepulture (location, dimensions and other information);
- a description and the price of maintenance services.
Copy of the contracts
After signature, the vendor must provide you with a copy of the contracts. The law also requires the vendor to send a copy to the person of your choice within 10 days of its signature. This will ensure that at least one person close to you will know about the arrangements you have made.
Should you prefer not to send a copy to another person, you will be required to sign a clause to that effect in your contract.
Last update : May 3, 2021
Was the information on this page useful to you?
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.