Title of the bill: An Act mainly to modernize rules relating to consumer credit and to regulate debt settlement service contracts, high-cost credit contracts and loyalty programs
Introduced in the National Assembly by the Minister of Justice, Ms. Stéphanie Vallée, on May 2, 2017
Passed on November 15, 2017
Coming into force: as of August 1, 2018
Among other things, this bill proposes to:
- regulate the activities of merchants who offer debt settlement services and those who offer high-cost credit;
- update consumer credit rules;
- regulate loyalty programs;
- adjust the consumer protection rules that apply to distance contracts (concluded online or by telephone, among other means);
- regulate the activities of collection agency representatives.
Read the press release (in French only, November 15, 2017)
Stages in the consideration of the bill in the National Assembly
Last update : May 3, 2021
Were you unable to find an answer to your question? Please call us.
The information contained on this page is presented in simple terms to make it easier to understand. It does not replace the texts of the laws and regulations.